Sunday, July 6, 2008

List #4: And in This Corner to Asia Born

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince: And In This Corner...
This rap record is very indicative of the year it was released...1989. I was nine when this Homebasething came out. I don't recall hearing any Fresh Prince until their' 1991 album . The lyrics are very simple, fun, clean and the arrangements are classic old skool (what I understand to be) hip hop/rap. But I have to admit, the story telling style of Smith's raps get a little old after a while...I listened to it while I cleaned the kitchen.

Metallica- And Justice For All....
okay, so I thought I was a Metallica fan but listening to this with headphones was soooo boring. My cousin would shoot me for saying this but almost all the songs on this record sounded the same...the only things that I liked were the singles...the rest of the album not so great.

Faith No More- Angel Dust
Okay...so I tried really really really hard to listen to this record and I just flat out could not get into it. I did not like it at all. It sucked.Chris....what tracks were you going for on this one? I listend to eight and just...ended up skipping the rest because I couldn't deal with it's major suckage.

Bonobo- Animal Magic
Okay, so funny story: Mr. Heller tried to give me this record in mp3 format and I didn't even know that I already had it. It fucking rules. It is sooooo good. Five stars and a keeper from me. It's a great downtempo trip-hop jazz combo and I simply adore it. It's really indicative of the kind of music I like right now.

Various Artists- Bob Dylan Anniversary Concert Special Discs 1 & 2
If you like Bob Dylan and you haven't heard this record...you totally should. There were so many good covers and the jam vibe of it being a live album just enhanced the listening experience. I started giggling uncontrollably when Neil Young Started singing because I was reminded of this Dana Carvey bit (it's towards the end).


Paul Oakenfold- Anthems
Okay, so I know it's not cool to like trance let alone circa 1999 trance BUT I like it okay. I'm a sucker for it. It takes me back to when I first started partying. Electric Daisy Carnival 1999 and partying all summer, all fall and well into the winter and the trance CD's we used to listen to that summer...then it turned to breaks, and jungle (Aphrodite Urban Junglist will always have a special place in my heart...) so...I like it. And it made me want to eat MDMA and dance like a retard in front of speakers just f*cked up out of my skull, in my own world...yeah...I had a lot of fun doing that. And it also reminds me of Dance Parties at Kresge K Candice played an Oakenfold hit from last year and...I thought of her.

This SCREAMS 8-bit animation stories....it is soooo fucking good. I had such a blast listening to it and imagning old school nintendo style animation robots fcuking shit up. listen to it and Imagine. Yes you can hear a Danny Elfman influence...but I swear it's like Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda soundtracks on LSD.
Primus- Antipop
I saw Primus about ten years ago at the X-96 Big Ass Show here in Salt Lake. Funny story people (for whatever reason) started throwing their shows up onto stage at the band. After the performance of My Name Is Mud, Les Claypool stopped and picked up a shoe and said "uh...why are you guys throwing shoes up here? We're rich rock stars. We don't need any more shoes. If you guys keep throwing them up here we're going to stop playing." I think someone threw a shoe up and Les picked it up and chucked it back...kind of hard. But this album was pretty dark and edgy but I like most everything Primus does and this is no exception but it's not my favorite Primus album

Richard Cheese- Aperitif For Destruction
Richard Cheese is simply HILarious. I LOVE every track on this record. If you haven't heard Richard Cheese...stop reading this, go to his myspace page or projectplaylist.com or something and just listen...if you're disappointed then you suck

Aphrodite- Aphrodite
Wonderful, wonderful and yet again wonderful record. Hooray Aphrodite.

Janis Joplin & Various Artists- April 1, 1969 Live Concert
I freakin' love Janis Joplin. She is nothing short of amazing and...the eight tracks I have are no exception. I love the live versions of Ball and Chain, Summertime, Take a Piece of My Heart and her appearance with Snookie Flowers on his tune Turn You Loose reminded me of the good Captain Morgan...whom I should hit up when i get home and see how he is doing.

Master Shake- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon The Movie for Theaters Colon The Soundtrack, (one track)
HILarious. yes Shake, someone already paid money for the record and yes we can skip it and it wouldn't matter because the production company certainly did get theirs. hahahahaha

Aqua- Aquarium (one track)
Barbie girl is a fun track. It makes me giggle mostly because of it's tongue in cheek references on heterosexual relationships and programming and all that plastic...soooo funny. And I will admit to liking Aqua's second album Aquarius a lot.

Daft Punk- Around The World (super single- four tracks)
Who doesn't love Around The World? and I will say that I was grateful that I wasn't sick of the song like I thought I would have been after hearing the various versions of it. I LOVE Daft Punk.

ABBA- Arrival
I LOVE ABBA! Except for the Hawaii songs. This whole record reminded me of Muriel's Wedding which is a film I really enjoy watching. And because it's ABBA how can you be sad when you listen to it? It would be damned near impossible. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how. If I'm in a genuinely foul mood and ABBA comes on and it doesn't cheer me up...I turn it off.

A.F.I. The Art of Drowing
Loud. Fun. An album I'd like to commit to memory and listen to selected tracks while on a roadtrip....or on the way to a concert or something I am really pumped up and psyched for (a good mood match for that) I listened to it very casually while I was cleaning and will probably spend some time listening to it on my headphones because you can gain a better appreciation for something when listening to it in a fairly isolated manner (via headphones).

DJ Shadow- Asian Born
Good. Old. Skool funks and breaks and rap. Very cool BUT it turns out this was a single so half of the eight tracks were actually repeats. ...yeah...

Okay...so I'm not at home so I can't tell you what is going to be played next but I have decided that I will only load 7 hours of music on my mp3 player at a time. Otherwise it takes a few days to go through it and...I'd like to be updating this more often. (Plus it will give Uth something to read every day ;-) I love you grrl)

No comments: