Tuesday, July 1, 2008

List #2 Alan Parsons Project Live to All World: Greatest Hits

Alan Parson's Project- The Best of The Alan Parsons Project
Aside from a few tracks on this album listening to it was a bit of a challenge. I have to admit I still have a soft spot for the track Eye in the Sky but I think that's because it reminds me to listening to soft rock/mushy love stations when I was like 11 and the movie Arthur (I have no idea why) I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for it it or what but...I just could NOT dig it.

Alanis Morissette- Alanis Unplugged
Okay, so anyone who knows me knows I am a HUGE Alanis Morissette fan. I own this album on vinyl (along with two other Alanis Albums) and this is one of my favorite albums of hers it sports one of the best covers of The Police's King of Pain and the arrangement of You Oughta Know I think is the most accurate representation to Alanis' emotion when she wrote the song. Contrary to popular opinion that the song is bourne out of rage, according to interviews with Alanis, it was birthed from a place of sadness and the piano in the song is beautifully haunting.

Faith No More- Album of the Year
I really dug this album. It was a bit grating at times BUT I could imagine taking a road trip with this music. The arrangement, produciton, vocals and lyrics were very well put together.

Of Montreal- Alchilis Arboretum (one track)
Okay, the one track that I had was Pancakes For One which immediately reminded me of Mr. Heller. And regardless of he agrees to it or not I will, until further notice, associate that track with our friendship. It's an adorable track and I recommend you check it out. Also, check out the cover art for this album, as it is exceedingly beautiful.

Arlo Guthrie- Alice's Resturaunt
I seem to recall at one point Chris trying to make me listen to this album in the car and I have to say that at the time I was less than impressed. In fact I thought it was downright boring, mostly because I couldn't really hear it. However, after listening to this album, specifically the title track, on headphones I am officially an Arlo Guthrie fan. Listen to this album or at the very least devote eighteen minutes to listen to the title track (yes, it is eighteen minutes and if you ask Chris he'll tell you a story about radio DJ's putting this record on and leaving the studio to go do something...and while I just told you- ask him anyways as I probably missed some detail).

Alien Ant Farm- Alien Ant Farm Anthology
This album was the epitome of hit and miss as far as this list goes....all I have to say is Happy Death Day are you fucking kidding me!? "Daddy's got a brand new body bag for you!?" *rolls eyes* the lyrics sounded like some seventeen year old upper middle class white boy who thinks they know a thing or two about angst and...ugh...it made me want to barf...but instead I just giggled at the stupidity of the lyrics. The cover of Micheal Jackson's Smooth Criminal was the only thing this record had going for it.

Flogging Molly- Alive Behind The Green Door
A collection of live and studio recorded tracks I really, really dug this record. It reminded me of a story my friend Mimi told me about how she and Josh went down to Cannes in San Diego (I can't for the life of me remember what beach- P.B., M.B., O.B., etc.,) and how they were having a drink and heard a band warming up and turns out it was Flogging Molly so they hung out and caught the concert. And all I could think was "I would have loved to have seen them live and I wonder how/if I would rock out to this without involving myself in a mosh pit."

Steely Dan- Alive in America (LIve)
Try as I might I could not get into this album. I haven't written it off completly though because I image that if my first exposure to Dave Matthew's Band was one of their live albums I probably would not be too big of a fan of them either. So, that said, I think the reason was that this was my first exposure to Steely Dan (that I'm aware of at least) and it being a live album I'm going to listen to it again after hearing their studio albums.

Roy Orbison- The All-Time Greatest Hits
As a child my parents didn't allow us to listen to mainstream radio or watch MTV until we were quite a bit older so these songs remind me of cruising around in my parent's blue VW bus and dancing around and lip synching to these tracks in my living room in the house on Dunes St. Good times.

Bad Religion- All Ages
I am a Bad Religion fan. As of my second exposure to their work, I really, really, really, really love them. And this album appears to be a compliation of hits or whatever, I heard quite a few of these tracks on the last Bad Religion album and their stuff just keeps getting better.

Bjork- All is Full of Bjork
I'm assuming this is a bootleg album. And it has a BEAUTIFUL remix of Alarm Call and a fantastic live version of Human Behavior. I LOVE Bjork and her voice is just a powerhouse of awesome, even more so because she's so tiny.

Plain White T's- All That We Needed (one track)
The one track I have is Hey There Delilah and I all I ever think about EVERY time I hear this track is my beautiful sister Uth. I have a very distinct memory of her singing it in her car as we were driving somewhere, and she just makes everything look adorable.

U2- All That You Can't Leave Behind
HEY BONO...YEAH....NEW YORK IS SHIT! GET OVER YOURSELF. YOU HAVE A PLACE IN NEW YORK, AND YOU HATE IT AND LIFE SUCKS BOO-FUCKING-HOO. ugh *rolls eyes* aside from that track the rest of the album kicked major ass and Beautiful Day will forever be associated with McCampbell...luvs u stickman.

L.L. Cool J- All World: Greatest Hits
Nothing says junior high like L.L. Cool J. A really fun album that had more than one track that reminded me of Z-Trip and by extension Steve-O. *sigh* a good time that made me want to learn to breakdance like they did in the 1980's when it was all new.

And now for List #3: The Altogether to Amsterdam in Flemmin
Orbital- The Altogether
Green Day- American Idiot
Johnny Cash- American III: Solitary Man
Johnny Cash- American IV: The Man Comes Around
Johnny Cash- American Outakes
Don McLean- American Pie
Veruca Salt- American Thighs
The Offspring- Americana
Radiohead- Amnesiac (two tracks)
The Black Crowes- Amorica
Rammstein- Amsterdam in Flammen...

3 comments:

Chris / Chuck said...

Sorry you didn't like the Steely Dan, I dig it as a good low tempo album. The studio stuff is a little more polished.

On your next list, I love the Offspring, not much content, but great to listen to loud.

Unknown said...

I can see it being a chill out/BBQ background music. I haven't written it off yet but there are artists that I like (both in the studio and live) that I have heard live tracks that I am not familiar with and I don't really dig them until I hear the studio version....with the exception of 'My Baby's Got Sauce' By G Love...the live version pwns the studio version with a capital 'P'

Ruth Hill said...

Just a reminder...it was East Dunes St. You forgot we are from the east side...what what!

Thanks for saying I make everything look adorable...you just boosted my self esteem balloon. :) Love you!